18 November 2010

nyc

The more I go, the more I love it.

Back from two days of art immersion--the Brooklyn Museum of Art, Pratt Institute, Pitmen Painters off-Broadway show, The One of a Kind Show--and of course, a bit of shopping/touring Times Square at night.

As much as I love nature, the city calls to me in an equally enticing manner. It's beautiful; a human-made beautiful, but beautiful nonetheless.

I'm not sure why I went on this trip. It pushes me into more seriously considering pursuing art, which I know I would have great difficulty in...I am by no means the best in any way. I have passion and creativity, but that's about it. No means, no resources, no knowledge of how this all works. In this way I envy the Cab Calloway kids, who have had four years (some, seven) of a fairly complete, concentrated artistically liberal-arts education. I sincerely wish them the best, because this field is crazy difficult to get anywhere in, and they've been determined to set foot on this path for such a long time.

On another note, I didn't get to take as many photos as I would like, for someone who was lugging around her heavy DSLR all day for both days. Most of the times it was prohibited or we were just on the run; yet, I'm glad I didn't spend all my time behind the eyepiece. OH, and I lost my eyepiece momentarily in New York, only to find it magically reappearing in my bag (I would have bet a lens and a half that it wasn't in there, since I didn't notice its disappearance until a few hours after I took it out of the bag...whoo observational skills!).

On another ANOTHER note, it was nice getting to spend some time with a different group of people than who I'm usually with. They were all acquaintances, sure, but the two full days really did give me a new sense of amiability, if that makes sense. I'm so used to the same friends, same talks--which I totally embrace, don't get me wrong, but it does become a whirlpool--and for some time doubted my ability to be enthusiastic and genuine to new people.

But right, it's time to sleep. I'm exhausted and I was planning on knocking out an hour ago...photos later (maybe, with what little I have...). Tomorrow's our school's Quidditch fundraiser tournament (for Invisible Children/a school we sponsor in Uganda)--I have to pick up my Slytherin shirt!!--along with three quizzes that I have yet to study for...thank God for first-period study hall. I love the new schedule. And after that, a nine-day Thanksgiving break. Filled with college apps and yearbook logistic organization, yes, but a nine-day break nonetheless.

Night :)

PS--beware of the ubiquitous, unending flights of stairs if you ever take a tour of Pratt...killer.

PPS--I can't believe I forgot to mention this! We met Ian Kelly, Hermione's father in the new Harry Potter film (officially out in about an hour and a half)! Sick, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment